Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Is the problem federal and state budget?

I'm beginning to wonder when doing my research, if my efforts in finding information on federal and state funding is the only reason this epidemic has continued to climb. In my search I found a source that provides information on the federal budget, and how it is affecting Colorado's state budget. The source is  How Could Federal Budget Changes Affect Colorado's State Budget? The source is about the federal budget changing and how it will affect state budget for Colorado. It explains how much the state government relies on the federal funding for all programs. The federal funds are given to state agencies, and divided up amongst those agencies. The author Nathaniel Minor gives a break down of the budget from federal funds that go to state agencies.

























In response to the information I have provided, human services receives a substantial amount of money. They are fourth down on the list for being the highest in receiving federal funds. The author states that "The Department of Human Services gets $230 million of federal money that goes to programs like food stamps and heat assistance, $100 million to the division of child welfare, and $85 million to the office of early childhood."( Minor) This gives me an idea on what other services are within this budget. Once I reviewed my third source, I compared it with the last two. My first source provided me with some information on one of Colorado's facilities closing due to insufficient funds. My second source showed a map of Colorado and the area's that have very few services, or no services. My third source provided helpful information on federal and state budget, though it did not give me a list of what everything is spent on for budget. 

Some thoughts came to mind when questioning the sources: Does the state receive enough funds to cover the cost for the opioid addiction, or does the state just spend too much on other services? Is the opioid crisis in the Colorado not as important to resolve than anything else? The more research I do, brings me to believe that its a battle that can't be won. I keep wondering if the reason the opioid crisis has gotten worse is because there isn't enough money to support it, or if it's not important enough to change. I decided to find another source that provided information on opioid overdose, and what regions had the highest death rates.  The source I found is What does the opioid crisis look like in Colorado?


Author shanna Grove explains "As the CDPHE map below shows, the regions with the highest rates for opioid-related overdose deaths from 2013-2015 were Pueblo, Adams and Denver." (Grove)



These three areas are the highest for death rates, but you still have areas that are covering Colorado. My last source provided a map of the areas that had services. They both provide information on the same areas in Colorado. The state seems to have services where the higher drug overdose rates are happening. The most services in Colorado are where it has blue, and the yellow areas only provide one type of service. This brings me back to what the funding provides for these services. Also, if the highest rates for overdose are in the areas where services are, why is it so high? Are people being turned away from care? Can anyone receive the care they need? 



Minor, Nathaniel. "How could federal budget changes affect Colorado's state budget." Colorado Public Radio (2017.). URL.

 Grove, Shanna. "What does the opioid crisis look like in Colorado." 9 News (2017.). URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment